Search This Blog

Monday, January 12, 2009

One Week Down!

Okay, so I've officially begun a new week with the PWS Lose-a-thon. That means I've completed my first week already.

I have to say, the first week was not bad at all. I haven't done anything that I can't keep up for the next five months. I simply cut out some bad stuff, starting eating like I should be and began a moderate exercise program. I would like to kick it up to a more advanced exercise program but I know my limitations and know starting out at a livable pace is key. It really helps having my Wii Fit to track everything. I'm enjoying the workouts because they're fun, the system is motivating (even if it just a computer cheering me on) and it's rewarding to play/exercise. I like earning higher scores, unlocking new exercises and being able to visually track my progress.

I will post my new weight at the end of the post, but I feel I may have to clarify some things first to explain the shocking results. First, let me say that from the week of Thanksgiving, through New Years, I threw my hands up in the air and said, "The heck with it!" I decided I was going to eat whatever I wanted and pretend like I didn't have to care about weight, health or general well being. I ate like a teenager. And I paid for it. I noticed my clothes were tighter and I didn't feel good, but I just decided, for that month, I wasn't going to think about it--I'd already decided things would change after New Year's.

In late December I heard about the lose-a-thon and was really excited to get involved. It matched perfectly with my plan to pick myself up out of the depression I had been wallowing in for the last six months and start living my life healthy again. The last month of 2008 was kind of an adolescent fit of overeating to celebrate/mourn all that I had been through in the past few months.

Well, I must have really overdone it that last week or so. We had a blast at our annual New Year's extravaganza at Running Y. I cooked lots and lots of food. I did include many healthy choices this year, but there was plenty of junk food too and I must have partaken of a bit too much, especially of the salty stuff...

See, I haven't been a scale in several months. I was too afraid to confirm the fact that I had gained back to 20 pounds I lost in the spring. So, after decadently partaking at New Year's, I stepped on the scale last Sunday night and confirmed my weight at 190 pounds. I used my Wii Fit and calculated my BMI and fitness age. It was all pretty bad. But I also made a choice that I was only going to weigh in once a week so those little fluctuations each day wouldn't be so demotivating.

Well, this morning I stepped on the scale again and guess what? I'm at 180. I know, I know. It seems riduculous that I could lose 10 pounds in one week. Especially, when I just explained that I didn't do anything extreme. And I promise, I didn't! Here's my best guess.

Those overindulges all month long, to include the extra salty chips and nuts at New Year's must have really packed on some water weight. This week, I've most eaten freshly prepared foods from home without the high sodium content, plus no sodas, plus I drank ample amounts of water. I'm assuming this 10 pounds is mostly water weight that I was retaining. I can't think of any other explanation.

So, in one week, I'm a fifth of the way to my goal. Yea! But I know there's a long way to go and there won't me anymore 10 pounds weeks. I was setting a pace of 10 pounds a month. I'm hoping to lose 2 - 2 1/2 pounds per week to stay on track. This set me ahead, and I'm grateful, but I'm not going to let it go to my head and start eating crappy or backing off on exercise. In fact, I'm going to steadily increase my efforts until I'm living the healthy lifestyle I should be living. I want to set the example for the rest of my family.

Thanks, to all of you who have responded so far and encouraged me with your words and/or donations. I am very grateful. I'd love it if anyone else wishes to take up the gauntlet and join Team Molzer. It would be great to have a partner or more in all this. Though, I'm reaching my goal with the weight loss, I still have a long way to go for my fundraising goal, so please consider a donation or a sponsorship. It all goes toward a great cause and your donation is tax decutible.

Week 1 = 180 pounds (-10 lbs)

No comments:

Post a Comment