Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Veggie Pancakes

At the request of a reader, I'm posting my recipe for veggie pancakes.  I got this from my Family Fun magazine, but I tore out the page and have no idea which issue it came from (probably in the summer, sometime based on the vegetables in the mix).  I made a couple substitutions--they called for yogurt in the recipe but I use non-fat sour cream.  I also use a reduced fat grated cheese.  Their recipe called for a pesto dipping sauce but I use tzatziki, instead.  You can see their original recipe on their website at: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/veggie-pancakes-1022637/

These can be served warm or at room temperature.  When I make a batch I freeze them.  For lunches I pull one out of the freezer and include a little container of tzatziki (my favorite is Trader Joe's but since we don't have one here I rarely get to buy it so I settle for Costco's brand) in Cainan's lunch box.  It's thawed out by lunch time and he really enjoys them a lot even though they aren't warm.  This recipe runs about 90 calories per pancake.  Let me know what you think.

Veggie Pancakes (makes 12 pancakes)
2 cups finely grated zucchini
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup corn kernels (I use frozen but you could use canned if you drain them)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons non-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal (I usually use masa because I have that on hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese (I use a reduced fat cheddar or a reduced fat Mexican cheese blend--whatever I have on hand)
  • Use your hands to squeeze the excess liquid from the grated zucchini, then place the zucchini in a large bowl.  Add the carrots and corn and toss to combine the vegetables.  Stir in the egg, sour cream, salt and pepper until well blended
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, and baking powder.  Add the mixture, along with the cheese to the vegetables and stir until well blended.  
  • Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium heat.  To form each pancake, spoon 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan and use a fork or spoon to flatten it out (I actually just use my fingers!).  Working in batches, cook the pancakes until golden brown, about three minutes per side.  Use a spatula to transfer them to a wax paper lined plate.
  • Enjoy warm, or store in an airtight container for up to three days in a the refrigerator.  Or seal in a freezer safe container for up to a month.  Enjoy reheated or at room temperature with dipping sauce of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment