Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Low Calorie Macaroni and Cheese

I want to make a clarification from my last blog post.  Cainan joins us for each Wednesday night dinner, as he's an active participant in Awana Clubs.  Most of these meals are not low calorie but I always provide an alternative for Cainan or change the portion ratio (more salad and oranges, less lasagna, for example).  

I thought I would include the recipe I use for Cainan's macaroni and cheese.  

You may have read my previous entries on 
Shirataki noodles.  If you're doing a noodle dish, they are the best low calorie replacement you can find.  But I have yet to find them in elbow macaroni shape--only fettuccine or spaghetti.  For a small serving you could use regular pasta.  A 3/4 cup serving of cooked elbows is 145 calories.  Personally, I use the Shirataki fettuccine and cut them up into smaller pieces.  Two servings of these noodles is 40 calories.  BIG difference.
Whether you use Shirataki noodles or traditional pasta, here's the low calorie sauce to go over the top. 

Low Calorie Cheese Sauce
(2 Servings) 40 calories/serving
1 Wedge Laughing Cow Low Calorie Cheese (any variety you'd like).
1 slice nonfat American Cheese
1 Tablespoon nonfat milk

Melt the three ingredients together and add the pasta.  I find the microwave makes this a pretty quick and easy recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment