Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pot Roast and Garlic Bread

Oh, it's been one of those weeks...
We had 19 at our house for Thanksgiving--I LOVED it!  Right on the heels of I Heart Ashland I had no time to rest as I prepared my home for the festivities and had to finish sewing the enclosure for my back porch so I could actually hold 19 people in my house.  After breaking three sewing machines trying to complete it, I finally got it (mostly) done Tuesday night by hand sewing the final main seem of the last panel.


One of the results of Thanksgiving was a cousin who introduced me to Pinterest.  I have been seeing little posts on Facebook about Pinterest and "pinners" who are addicted to it.  I thought it was some new game on FB.  I had no idea what it really consisted of and once I did...well, that's the other reason why I haven't posted anything on the blog lately.  I've been totally engrossed in it.  By the way, it's not a game; it's the most amazing bulletin board of food, crafts, photographs, etc...  

Anyway, as a matter of discipline, I am posting a quick recipe we enjoyed this week and then I'm off to bed.  I love easy dinners and this one takes a little prep but then you can sit back and let it cook until eating time (thank you, crock pot!).

Pot Roast With Fall Vegetables
1-3 lb Roast (I used a tri-tip because we have a bunch of them frozen, but you can use any cut you like).
2 lbs carrots
2 lbs parsnips
1 lb brussel sprouts
1 large onion
1 pkg onion soup mix (like Lipton's)
1/2 cup water.

Remove the ends of the carrots and parsnips, rough chop in 1"-2" chunks.  Trim and cut the brussel sprouts in half.  Cut ends off onion and cut into thick slices.  
Make a layer of the vegetables in the bottom of the crock pot.  Set the roast on top of the vegetables.  Place the remainder of the vegetables on top and around the roast.
Sprinkle the packet of onion soup mix on top of the roast and vegetables.  Follow with 1/2 cup of water.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low up to 8 hours.

I put all the veggies on a platter, sliced the roast and put it on the same platter.  I also added a little cornstarch to a bit of milk and make a nice gravy from the remaining juices in the bottom of the crock pot.  Yum!

Also, for quick bread (perfect for sopping up that yummy gravy), here's another quick recipe.

Quick Garlic Bread Braid
2 tubes refrigerator biscuits (10 count)
1/4 butter or olive oil
Garlic Seasoning (I used Johnny Garlic Seasoning)
Grated cheese (optional)

Separating the biscuits and layer them, standing up, side-by-side, in a loaf pan. 

Drizzle with butter or olive oil, making sure to let it get into all the crevices.  Sprinkle with garlic seasoning and grated cheese, if desired.
Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes. 
I just used one tube of biscuits because that's all
I had, so I just had a half loaf, which was perfect for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment