Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Week Six

So, if anyone's reading the blog, you would have noticed that I did not post an entry last week. After my indulgent weekend at Disneyland, I didn't want to step on a scale and report any possible gain. So, I decided to give myself a week off as far as the scale went, and get back to a better routine this last week. I was doing well, too, until Joe convinced me to go back to Disneyland for Asher's birthday.

Since I had my splurge the weekend before for my birthday, I was better this weekend. But still, it's not real easy to eat healthy at Disneyland, and I know had more calories than I should have. At least, with Asher, I was also busy the whole time too. I probably walked five miles that day, between the two parks, going non-stop, pushing him in a stroller most of the way. That had to count for something.

Even with that taken into account, I was still very nervous to stand on the scale this week. I am relieved to weigh in at 174. I have indeed lost some weight these last two weeks!

I'm trying to be consistent, and barring the Disneyland trips, I've been doing a good job. I've also learned the valuable role water plays in my efforts. I've noticed on the days I'm more distracted that I tend to not drink as much water as I should. I've also noticed, after a couple days of that, I have head aches and I feel rotten. Once the realization hits me that I haven't been drinking as much as I should, I start pounding down the water by the bottle full. Low and behold, I feel better, I have more energy, and I really notice the weight loss. Being hydrated helps so much!

So, that's my important lesson for the last two weeks. I'm also realizing I need to pay strict attention to what I put in my body. It's so easy to eat out of habit or not put any thought into what I put in my body. When I'm in those modes, I eat way too much and always the wrong things. Just being conscious of my food and taking stock of each meal/snack before I consume it makes a huge difference. If I stop and ask myself, "Is this really what's good for me? Should I really eat this?", it gives me the time to make a good decision and not act on impulse. The key is to make sure I'm eating every few hours. If I'm too hungry, then the answer to the first question is still no, but invariably, I will answer yes to the second.

So, to re-cap: water, frequent eating and thinking before I take part in a meal. Maybe these are obvious to everyone, but until I actually decided to make this life change, I really didn't get it on a personal level. I could probably recite this stuff to someone if they asked for advice, but I didn't practice it. Now I see what a difference it makes.

Please, send me encouragements and kudos. Just drop me a line to let me know you're reading this blog and holding me accountable for my weight loss. It means a lot! Thanks!


Week 6 = 174 lbs (-16 Total)

1 comment:

  1. I am here reading updates every week. :) Great job so far Heather, and don't beat yourself up too much for slip ups, just get back on track. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete