Search This Blog

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Low Calorie French Toast Roll-Ups



I was scanning Pinterest a few minutes before lunch time the other day and came across an appealing Pin: French Toast Roll-ups.  I clicked on the link and reviewed the recipe.  It was one of those moments…you know the ones: when you realize you have all the ingredients, you can make this easily and the kids will go nuts for it.  Yeah, one of those moments.  Also, I knew I could make this a low calorie dish with ease.

The original recipes is here, at the Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice blog.  It calls for big fluffy slices of white bread and frying in butter.  I used neither and these were still fantastic.  What’s even better, the fillings are totally up to your imagination: peanut butter/banana, strawberry/Nutella, cream cheese/cinnamon, peanut butter/jelly, Monte Christo style (ham & swiss cheese)…really whatever you want.

Of course, the calories on these could vary widely, but I estimate the ones I made for Cainan were about 90 calories each.  He had two with a few baby carrots and some apple slices.  

Here’s what I did:

First, I used our low calorie bread to roll out flat.  It’s only 45 calories a slice, so I knew Cainan could probably have two of these depending on what I stuffed his with.  Also, I didn’t trim the crust, like the original called for—it was just fine with the crust on.



Secondly, I used a small amount of peanut butter in mine.  Peanut butter has a strong flavor and you don’t need much when you’re just using it as a compliment (like a teaspoon or less per slice of bread).

I sliced bananas and laid them along half of the bread.  I also used peanut butter and home-made apple butter on some other ones for the other kids.

Once I had everything stuffed and rolled up, I prepared the French toast batter.  I used the standard two eggs but non-fat milk.  I also add vanilla and cinnamon to mine (I like the flavors!).
 
The original recipe called for frying the roll-ups in melted butter but I just used a good non-stick pan and a little canola oil spray.  It doesn’t take long for them to brown—just turn them until all the outsides are toasty.



Lastly, I did splurge by rolling these in cinnamon and sugar, as the recipe called.  However, because they weren’t fried in butter, they got a very light coating.  It absolutely did not need to be dunked in maple syrup or anything else.  These were scrumptious on their own!


Here’s the recipe:
French Toast Roll-ups
8 slices of sandwich bread
Peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, bananas, Nutella and/or strawberries
2 eggs
3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon


1.      Place about a teaspoon or 2 of your chosen filling along one edge of the bread. From one end of the bread spread out in a strip. Roll the bread up and repeat until they're all filled. 

2.      In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and ½ tsp cinnamon until well combined. 

3.      In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the cinnamon.

4.      Spray a non-stick skillet with canola oil cooking spray and set over medium heat. 

5.      Add the rolls to the egg turning to coat on all sides then place them in the pan seam side down. Cook in batches until golden brown, turning them to cook and brown on all sides. 

6.      Add the hot rolls from the pan to the cinnamon sugar and roll until completely covered in sugar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment