Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Caramelized Pumpkin Seeds

I know it's been FOREVER since I've posted on the blog.  It's been a busy month.  I have a catch up post coming soon, but in the meantime I thought I'd re-post one of my favorite fall snack recipes.

I love pumpkin seeds.  My favorite part of the fall season is getting those seeds out of the pumpkin and toasting them up into tasty snacks.  I came across this recipe last year and it was WONDERFUL!  I even made extras to include in our Christmas gift baskets last year (it was a challenge not to eat all of them, myself).  This year the boys have a couple pumpkins they just painted to decorate, so I'm happy I have two more pumpkins full of seeds to harvest!

Her's the recipe.  Enjoy!

  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (according to your taste)
  • 2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds, washed and dried
  • cooking spray
  • 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons of sugar, the cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper, and set aside.
  3. Place the pumpkin seeds on the prepared baking sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt to taste. Bake the seeds in the preheated oven until lightly golden--20 to 25 minutes.
  4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, and stir in the toasted pumpkin seeds along with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cook and stir the seeds until the sugar forms a coating on the seeds, 2 to 3 minutes. 
  5. Stir the caramelized seeds into the bowl of sugar-spice mixture, toss to coat, and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment