Search This Blog

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Unique Roasted Broccoli

I like broccoli.  We eat it a lot of it in our family.  It's a really easy side dish; just chop, throw in a steamer and voila! Occasionally, if I have some extra time, I'll stir-fry it. 


Recently, I wondered what it would taste like roasted and set off to find a recipe. It turns out there are a plethora of them out there and they're all pretty similar, until I wandered across this one...

2 lbs broccoli crowns
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Place cookie sheet in oven and preheat to 500 degrees.  (I know that's hot but it's turns out great!)
Toss the broccoli crowns, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
When the oven is preheated, carefully pull out the cookie sheet and pour the broccoli onto it.  Return to oven and roast for 11-15 minutes (depending on how dark and caramelized you want it).
Note: try lining the pan with foil for a much easier cleanup 

The result is surprising.  It's not like any broccoli I've ever tasted.  And I'm not very worried about 1 tsp of sugar spread over 2 pounds of broccoli crowns.  We're talking 15 calories in the whole recipe but wow what a difference that sugar makes!

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Servings: 6
Calories per serving: 65

No comments:

Post a Comment